Service Matters – Our World Services Newsletter
Our monthly World Service Newsletter keeps GSA members in the know about what's happening at GreySheeters Anonymous World Services and how to be of service in this global community.
Member contributions are welcome. If you would like to write for Service Matters, email the Communications Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service Matters - September 2022
Startup Sponser Team
One of the most exciting additions to GSA under the auspices of the Communication Committee has been the creation of an official Start Up Sponsor (SUS) Team. The group has been working with people new to GSA who have found our solution on-line, at our website or via YouTube videos and Zoom meetings.
How do people get and stay abstinent with fewer face-to-face meetings to meet potential sponsors? This is the problem we face as our fellowship reaches more and more people, many of whom may not live anywhere near an active GreySheet community and made worse by the COVID-19 pandemic. Here is the solution we have created over time. With your help, we can grow this arm of service to help the compulsive eater who still suffers.
The Start Up Sponsor Team works with individuals one-on-one who are ready to start their GreySheet abstinence. Once you are part of the team, you attend a training for all new start up sponsors so that the information we give to the new sponsees is the same. Using the Clarifications of GS Abstinence, you help the newcomer to know what is and is not abstinent on the GreySheet and help them plan the next 3 meals by phone. This initial contact takes about one hour. Then, you give the newcomer a list of ten eligible sponsors (people with 90 days of back-to-back GS abstinence) from the GSA Phone List who are in their time zone with the instruction to call at least 3 people on the list every day until they find someone to sponsor them. You agree to take the newcomer's food for the first 24 hours and for a few days until the newcomer finds someone to sponsor them. Start Up Sponsors do not commit to sponsoring a newcomer full time. Instead, they commit to being available to newcomers for a few days. Then once a newcomer has a sponsor, the SUS becomes available to help another newcomer. This is a one-year service commitment.
What's in it for the Newcomer?
1. They receive the time and loving attention of someone familiar with GS who can answer their questions.
2. They can start immediately and have an experience of GS abstinence instead of waiting days or even weeks until they meet 'the right someone.'
What's in it for the Start Up Sponsor?
1. They get the satisfaction of helping someone desperate enough to reach out via our GS website and make our solution possible and doable in those crucial early days.
2. They get experience helping people understand the GS. It's also a great way to meet and connect with more GSers.
3. They get to watch people grow who are new to GS.
4. They can ask for help from their own sponsor when they have questions that stump them.
5. They are part of a team that is doing some of the most important work in GSA by helping compulsive eaters who still suffer.
If you or someone you know or sponsor (with one year of back-to-back GreySheet abstinence would like to get involved, please send an email with your name, location, phone number, time zone and abstinence date to: SUS@greysheet.org We will then email you a form to fill out which also outlines the expectations of a startup sponsor. We will have training for those who are interested in starting as a Start Up Sponsor on September 24th at 9:30 am ET.
All Interested GreySheeters Welcome!
Each of these meetings is an opportunity to expand your recovery by learning more about the framework that guides our work together. If you’re a delegate, you’ll want to clear your calendar and attend each of these meetings. This is how we get essential information and guidance for giving our best to the groups we serve.
- Concept meeting ID: 791 453 380 on Sunday, September 21 at 1:00 PM ET
Tradition meeting ID: 791 453 380 on Sunday, September 28 at 1:00 PM ET
Important Training Updates
Delegate Training #2: How to Participate in the World Service Conference Meeting
Congratulations on being elected as a delegate to the 2022 World Service Conference!
The World Service Conference of GreySheeters Anonymous World Service is a business meeting where we make decisions for the future of our fellowship. As a formal meeting of 50+ delegates from all over the world, there are expectations and procedures to make everything run smoothly and fairly. This training will cover how the conference runs and the role each delegate is expected to play.
You will have two chances to attend this second training session to discuss how delegate participate in the conference meeting:
Sunday October 2, 10am ET, Delegate Training #2, Zoom ID: 819 6663 2185
Monday October 3, 6pm ET, Delegate Training #2, Zoom ID: 820 2249 9514
We will cover:
- The Standing Rules of the Conference
- How to use the agenda
- Book of Previous Conference Resolutions
- Participating in debate on the resolutions
- Expressing a minority opinion
- Asking a procedural question
- Dealing with technical issues
- How to vote using the Zoom polling feature
- Nominating trustees
Ever wondered about serving your group as their Group Service Representative (GSR)? GSRs play a vital role connecting their groups to our GSA service structure.
All current or new GSRs and all those interested in learning more invited. Registration requested but not required:
The first Sunday in January, April, July and November at 10 AM ET on Zoom ID 856 3998 6995 with GSA passcode.
The first Tuesday in January, April, July and November at 6 PM ET on Zoom ID 838 9475 2685 with GSA passcode.
GreySheeters Anonymous World Services
Share the Vision -
Monthly Board of Trustees Liaison Report
August 21, 2022
Board of Trustees Distribution 2022 GreySheet Hard Copy and Electronically
• Electronic copies to be sent with Clarifications (including the FAQs) to ISRs and GSRs for distribution to qualified sponsors. Sponsors to distribute 2022 GreySheet and Clarifications to sponsees. No other version of GreySheet to be distributed electronically.
• Hard copies will still be ordered by sponsors from their intergroups. Intergroups will obtain supplies without charge from GSA World Services. Only GSA World Services designated agents may print hard copy GreySheets.
Board of Trustees New Version of the Preamble
• Board of Trustees proposing that GSA World Services adopt new version of the GreySheeters Anonymous Preamble (“people” instead of “men and women”) for World Service-level applications.
Board of Trustees New Internal GSA Facebook Group
• For material that would be appropriate in a GSA meeting when the meeting leader asks, “Are there any GSA- related announcements.” i.e., all posts meet criteria for website publication. For GSA Members Only
Board of Trustees GSA World Services By-Laws Update
• Board of Trustees working with NY GreySheeters Anonymous member/lawyer to improve by-laws. Will be submitted to WSC2022
• All old logos should be replaced ASAP. Email Liaison@greysheet.org for the appropriate image for your application
• Launched August 1. All questions and suggestions to Website@greysheet.org
• 85% going to SPAM/JUNK/BULK. Please mark GreySheeters Anonymous as SAFE SENDER. Check your spam folders the first week of the month for your copy.
• Required Delegate Training #2
o Sunday October 2 at 10am ET Zoom 819 6663 2185 o Monday October 3 at 5pm ET Zoom 820 2249 9514
o We have 130 registered groups around the world. 60 have elected GSRs. 32 of them have registered as delegates for the World Service Conference in October. Is your group represented?
• Start Up Sponsor Team Training
o Saturday September 24th at 9:30am ET for 90 minutes
o Abstinence requirement: 1 year; Service requirement: 1 year
o Email Cathy F. at SUS@greysheet.org for the registration link
• Spanish Speaking Gatherings
o Madrid Retreat September 9-11, 2022
o Mexico City Retreat October 21-23, 2022
o Tel Aviv Round Up April 22-23, 2023
o More information viviendoabstinentegsa.info
• Men’s Retreat in New Jersey
o October 14-16, 2022
o More information https://greysheetny.org/events/
• 32nd Annual NYC Round Up
o Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 1pm-4:15pm ET Zoom
o More information https://greysheetny.org/events/
• London Round Up
o May 5-6, 2023
o More information email: email@example.com
GreySheet Anonymous World Service
2022 Direct 7th Tradition Donations Target - $42,000
Download PDF: Service Matters - September 2022